Fire Damage Emergency Tips
What you can do until help arrives
Water Tips | Fire Tips | Biohazard Tips | Mold Tips
Though there are many facets to what we do at SERVPRO emergency fire damage restoration is foundational. On the top of our website we use the phrase "Fire and Water -- Cleanup & Restoration". This phrase tells the story of who we are. We are your go to fire restoration team in Delray Beach.
No one wants to deal with fire, but fires are serious and cause over 20 billion dollars of damage each year. So not only are they serious, they’re regular.
Fire damage is greater than simply the things burned by fire. Fire damage also includes the water damage from the fire fighting efforts as well as smoke and soot damage.
Below are some tips to think about when addressing fire damage.
Have Smoke or Fire Damage? Call (561) 272-5180
What To Do After A Fire
- Limit movement in the home to prevent soot particles from being embedded into upholstery and carpets.
- Keep hands clean so as not to further soil upholstery, walls and woodwork.
- Place clean towels or old linens on rugs, upholstery and carpet traffic areas.
- If electricity is off, empty freezer and refrigerator and prop doors open.
- Clean and protect chrome with light coating of petroleum jelly or oil.
- Wash houseplants on both sides of leaves.
- Change HVAC filter.
- Tape double layers of cheesecloth over air registers.
What NOT To Do After A Fire
- Don't attempt to wash any walls or painted surfaces or shampoo carpet or upholstery without contacting us.
- Don't attempt to clean any electrical appliances that may have been close to fire, heat or water without consulting an authorized repair service.
- Don't use any canned or packaged food or beverages that may have been stored near the fire, heat or water.
- Don't turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet. The wiring may be damaged.
- Don't send garments to an ordinary dry cleaner. Improper cleaning may set smoke odor.